Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Hooray

Okay so yesterday I took the day completely off. I was kind of sore from the previous outdoor workouts and I had a bunch of other stuff to do. So I had planned on having a pretty good workout today to make up for the lost time. I'm really liking running right now so the biking has been put into reserve and the swimming has been non-existent since Christmas break. Today after work i embarked on the longest run that I have ever attempted. I ran 7.44 miles today, and i realize by some people's standards that this isn't very far, but you have to remember I don't have much of a cross country background or even a track one for that matter. Running over 7 miles for me is quite the feat.
It was a good run though with a couple of hills and I look forward to doing it again in the future. My goal this week was to really up my mileage per week. I'd like to get it up to around 25 miles, and this week I've done fine where I'm already at 17. The trick is going to be holding at 25 miles while adding in other aspects of the triathlon. I feel I can do it, i just need to make sure my diet and water consumption are okay and the biggest factor is going to be time management and discipline.

2 comments:

Laurie said...

Great job!! Don't add too much mileage too fast though. I think I read somewhere that you shouldn't increase by more than 10% per week, so, if you ran 17 this week than aim for 18.7 next week...it will keep you from getting injured or sick. (I could've made that number up though...maybe it's 15%...)

Dick said...

I'll go along with Laurie...way to go! There aren't an awful lot of recreational runners out there that are going on 7 mile jaunts. She's right about not increasing your mileage too fast. I had a marathon training schedule I got from Runner's World that tells you how to increase your mileage...even though you're looking at doing triathlons it would help. If I can find it I'll bring it to McMinnville this weekend.