Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Ok Back in the Game

So I took a few days off from any cardio; until tonight I hadn't done any since last Friday. I did end up adding some lifting into my workout plans though and really only had off days on Sunday and Monday. I really wanted to get some work in on Monday but homework took longer than I thought it would.
Tonight I got in a pretty good cardio and leg workout by just doing some cycling. I rode for 20 minutes getting a pretty good workout, then did one leggers for 2 min each. I then did hill climb or standing riding for 5 minutes. The workout took about an hour and I felt pretty good during and after the workout.
One thing interesting that I'm beginning to notice is that I can't lose this stomach pooch that I managed to gain in the mission eating all that super greasy food. But I can't help but seriously ask myself, "I'm I seriously to that point in my life where I can't put off that 'extra' weight?" I mean my legs are in the best shape they have been in for a long time, if not their best shape, my arms are ok and really I'm in decent shape except for this little gut and some back fat! How do you get rid of that? I'm only 23, Laurie is almost 30 and has had three kids and seems to lose it every time, and I'd imagine having a kid puts more fat on than a mission. So come on Laurie what's the secret?
I know one thing that I need to research and get some info on is nutrition. I really don't know where to find any. On the internet there is too much info and its just a waste of time looking unless you already know the site you want. Then the other problem I have run into is that there are so many different opinions, whose right? Or are any of them? (I suddenly feel like Joe Smith) So if anyone knows of some good sights or just wants to send me some good info, do so please!
My running shoes are starting to die too. I'm thinking that part of my next paycheck is going to have to go to some new ones. Traditionally I've bought Adidas and like them quite a bit but I've been looking at some Nike's lately. So what I'd like to know is what kind of shoes do you guys have and why do you like or dislike them? Please leave your comments!

1 comment:

Laurie said...

I've never really followed a diet...luckily I have inherited some "skinny" genes that I think keep my metabolism fairly healthy. I believe, though, that if you practice portion control and make sure to eat a variety of food, especially fruits and veggies, limit you red meats, but get adequate supplies of protien and carbs and mostly cut out all soda and sugary drinks you should be good to go. I also am a strong believer in drinking lots and lots of water.

As for my secret...I don't have one. I have 3 kids, which means I'm moving non-stop and in addition, I've worked out hard during my pregnancies so that I wouldn't get too out of shape. If you want to lose your belly and back fat, balance diet will do wonders as will really focusing on your core when doing everything else...running, lifting, swimming...

Shoes... I'm running in Nike's right now. With Nike's you have to watch out for the back of the shoe. On me, at least, they come up high on my achilles and if I'm not wearing socks that go higher than the tops of the shoe then they rub really badly. I've heard some really great things about Asics gel series... I would recommend going to a specialty running store and have them analyze your stride and tell you what shoes would be best for you. Or, check out Runner's World online, they have a lot of good advice.