Monday, February 16, 2009

Death to Treadmills

I've been doing pretty good at getting some kind of workout in everyday of late. I did take Saturday completely off but apart from that I've really been doing well. Yesterday I went for my first outside run that I've gone on in months. The sun was out and it seemed like a good idea. I used google earth and mapped out a 6.3 mile run. I started out and actually felt pretty good. Everything was going great on the run until I realized that what I thought was a road on google earth was actually a path through someone's backyard! Well even though it was snow covered I decided to forge through it and ended up coming out their driveway. I don't think anyone saw me though so it was okay.
Something that was very apparent during the run though was how my legs felt very different than they do while I run on a treadmill. The treadmill simply works different muscles and after some careful considreation I've decided that a treadmill is basically worthless. While a running on a treadmill seems to protect my kness from being sore later, it also makes my shin mucscles and calves tighten up and cramp pretty badly, where as during my run on the road they felt fine the whole time. Its also about a million times mentally easier to run outside because you actually move and there are things to look at and take your mind off of the annoying pain you feel. When running on a road times just goes faster too. I get really frustrated on a treadmill because I feel like time stands still and i end up just watching that stupid clock they have on your dashboard to let you know how slow you're really going. Let's just say I'm ready for the warm weather and am really happy that I've been able to run outside the last couple of days. Today I ran 3.88 miles at a pretty slow pace but with a couple brutal hills to make up for it.

4 comments:

Dick said...

You're right...treadmills pretty much suck. I don't know how anyone can deal with running in one place for more than about 30 seconds. You can actually run outside just about any time, unless the snow's too deep or it gets icy. I ran a few times this year when the temperature was in the low 20s, and I went 4.5 one evening when it was 19. You just need to make sure you wear gloves and a stocking cap, and don't run so hard that you hurt your lungs. I'm convinced that outside runs give you a much better workout...and if you keep running through people's yards you'll eventually get to run from the police, which ought to REALLY help your pace!

Laurie said...

I agree with Dad...suck it up and get outside. No more of this "fair weather" running stuff!

Good job, though, working out every day.

and, sorry, I can't help myself, it's "their" not "there"...I promise not to grammar police too much that just happens to be one that drives me crazy! :)

Tom North said...

Yeah I actually hate that one too, usually I'm better at catching that stuff...I guess because I was writing it so fast. And I haven't been running outside because of the snow not because of the cold temperatures. People don't clear their walk and the plow trucks just push the snow to the sides of the road where I would normally run, so its been either run down the middle of the road at night or go to the gym.

Laurie said...

Sorry, that I even said anything, I know that you're usually pretty good with grammar.

Running in snow sucks...you could get some cool spikey things to put on your shoes (yeah, the probably have a technical name).