Tuesday, January 19, 2010

I hate being sick...and out of shape

Yesterday since we did not have school I took it upon myself to get in a really good workout. I woke up feeling pretty sick and knew it was going to be a rough day, my head was pounding and my nose was totally plugged. After finding some way to motivate myself I went to the gym and got all warmed up and hopped in the pool for a workout I had made for myself. I wanted to know how I was doing as far as being ready for the swim portion of a sprint tri. I did an 800 meter time trial that in all reality kicked my trash. I know Stephanie would laugh but I went a 12:33. That's definitely not my best but I think its an ok start for the season. All together my workout was only 1750 m long, for me right now, this was sufficient to kick my butt and I was dead when I got home. I had told Janna that I would go running with her in the evening though and so I managed to gather some energy from somewhere to get out and run in the 36 degree weather. I was feeling horrible before we even started and after one mile of our four mile run I knew I was in trouble. I could hardly breathe due to all the crap in my lungs and I was so tired from swimming that Janna immediately left me in her dust. I finally caught her at just before three miles but right then we hit a hill and I was done for, she seriously took off and by the time we finished I could hardly even see her (the last mile is a straight stretch). With about a half mile to go I was doing the old man shuffle just kind of sliding my feet along the pavement and I was actually wheezing. I spent the rest of the night trying to recover and I haven't felt that crappy in a long time. I was able to take some comfort in the fact that my best time on that run did kick the crap out of Janna's time but it still sucked.

2 comments:

Dick said...

Sorry that you're sick. It's tough to train when you can't breathe. I'm glad that Janna left you in the dust...I was afraid that she would baby you.

Tom North said...

Oh no she would never baby me...any chance she gets to humble me she takes