Sunday, March 15, 2009

I need to eat better

I decided to take Friday off from everything even though it was suppose to be my bike day; there's just something about biking in a 20 x 20 room all by myself that is just not that exciting for me. Yesterday I ran just over 3.5 miles and did it at about an 8 min/mile pace. The run felt really good and everything felt pretty loose. I was also running with someone so it was a lot easier to push myself. I've found I'm a pretty competitive person and I really need someone with the same goals as me to train with out here.
Today I went for a run too but it was brutal. I had planned on doing a 6 mile run and felt great going out. Before the run I did some sets of push-ups and abs, but still felt good when I left the house. The first 2 miles of the run felt really good, I was holding around a 8.5 pace and was really loose and doing fine. From mile 2 to 3 I started getting tired and knew that I was in trouble because this run I do is fairly flat and easy for the first half and then I have to climb 2 long steep hills and down another steep one on the second half. At three mile I hit the first hill and it totally killed me. About 200 yards after the hill I was hardly even moving, taking baby steps and breathing really hard, my legs seriously felt like lead. I was also getting really really hot with my black cold gear Under-armor sleeves on, it was almost 60 out there today. So I walked until I caught my breath and then took my sleeves off and started running with them in my hand, however this was really annoying so I stopped again and hid them in somebodies bushes. I made it maybe another mile before I was dying again, just before I was about to go up the second big hill so I stopped again. About that time I decided the run wasn't worth it and took a short cut home that cut off a good .75 mile from my run and totally avoided the hill.
I actually ended running a 9:05 pace (averaged out that is) and managed to run that last mile or so back to my truck pretty hard, but what happened out there today?
Well I think it has a lot to do with my eating habits. Lots of days I'll only eat one meal around 2:00 and that's it. On other days I'll eat noting but cereal and PB & J sandwiches. If I'm going to get serious about doing triathlons or even just getting in decent shape I need to eat better more balanced varied meals, I need to get some kind of eating routine and stick to it. On that note a good sleeping pattern probably wouldn't hurt either.

2 comments:

Dick said...

You should be eating 5-6 times per day, not once! In answer to your question about what happened out there today, in cycling terms you "hit the wall." That's what happens when your body doesn't have the fuel it needs to do a workout...it shuts down. Just out of curiosity, did you remember to get the UA you stashed in the bushes?

Tom North said...

I did remember to go back and get it, but thanks for having my back.