Saturday, May 2, 2009

April

With less than two months to go before my first event in Salt Lake I decided going into April that I really needed to pick it up with my workouts and start increasing my efforts in order to get in shape. April was a good month for me and I feel like I was able to take some big steps of progression. I was able to get in over 50 miles of run training, doubled my swim, increased the bike by a little too, and incorporated weight lifting into the mix also. Lucky for me I have no social life cause otherwise all this would be affecting it. On a typical workout day I spend around three hours training, which feels really good to know that I'm actually doing something again. With any other sport like baseball, football, or anything you easily spend that much time training so I felt like I wasn't doing enough when I would go run for 30 minutes and be done, but now that I've got a good base and can do some serious training sessions I just feel good again.
Yesterday I ran the farthest I ever have at any one time, running 9.4 miles. I did it at an 8:39 min/mile pace taking me 1:21:30 and felt really good, lately though I've had this pain when I run on the inside of my left ankle, while running yesterday it would sometimes hurt but wasn't that bad....I should have iced it but didn't so it hurts pretty bad today and is kinda swollen. Really though I'm not too worried about it as it doesn't seem that serious.
I'm excited for the races I have that are coming up and hope I'll be able to do well in them. I'm not too worried about the sprint because I know I'm already in shape for it and that it will just be a matter of working out the kinks and nerves of never doing a tri before. The whole not having a bike issue has got me a bit nervous I'm really not sure how I will deal with that yet, and I still need to find a wetsuit to swim in....which I've never done before, I don't know how it will affect my stroke. All in all though I feel better about it all now than I did before April.

1 comment:

Laurie said...

Nice job with the longer runs. Are you for sure going to do Portland? If so, are you going to do a set training plan? There is a pretty good one on the Runner's World site that is for 16 weeks, so you would start training June 15th. I'm really considering it...it would be good to have someone to keep me on track as far as training...we'll have to see...