Thursday, June 11, 2009

A Depressing Day

It has been 18 days since I last ran more than 50 yards. Today as I was driving I saw a ton of people out for jogs and I was getting the urge to get out there and join them. Not being able to run has really been pretty depressing for me, if it weren't for swimming and cycling I would probably be hating the whole world right now. As I was driving and feeling this urge to get out there and join the pack, I managed to talk myself out of it as I knew my knee was still hurt....but then I saw her. There she was trotting along without a care in the world just enjoying life to its fullest; she was an overweight over-aged women. That's when I started getting pissed! How is it that a fat old women can run and I a 23 year old in shape kid can't?! So I threw out all reason and decided to finally strap on the running shoes and go out for a run. I decided that I would stop running as soon as my knee first felt pain.
I started out feeling great, had a decent pace going but wasn't pushing myself hard by any means. The first mile went by and all was good, I actually began to think that maybe during my forced time off the knee had got better. At mile 2 I realized that it was all in vain as my knee suddenly started hurting just as bad as before, so I walked back to the truck cussing the whole way. Looks like I'm still injured. Really sucks!
I'm pretty worried about my race that's coming up in a month and a half, I need to train for it by running...not just swimming and biking.

2 comments:

Laurie said...

I'm sorry Tom...it really sucks not to run. I hope you can do your next tri. Are you doing any "aqua jogging"? Even though it looks kind of silly, it's the closest thing you can do to running without the impact, maybe your knee could tolerate that. Good luck!

Dick said...

I feel your pain...literally! I'm not sure what advice to give you, other than you need to have insurance before you see a doctor. Just out of curiosity, what exactly is an "overage" woman?